Download FastTrack Scripting Host 8.5
Use the download button in the box below to download or update FastTrack Scripting Host.
If you do not have a license key, please go to the download page
to get a free trial or express license key.
If you are having trouble downloading the setup exe file below, you can download a zip-wrapped version by clicking here
Breaking changes policy:
Our policy on breaking changes is to not have them. We may deprecate a command or function, but will still support it.
This means that you can safely upgrade from any version to a newer one without modifying your scripts.
FastTrack Scripting Host 8.5 - Released May 21st 2013
Version 8.5 is a major update with these highlighted features:
Download version 8.5
- FastTrack Inventory Server can now be installed as a local server (standard IIS web site) instead of using a cloud-based account. It is free and comes with Enterprise and Platinum licensing. Please refer to this page for more information.
- New Microsoft Outlook signature deployment wizard for script-less deployment. Please refer to this page for more information.
- New FastTrack Inventory client deployment wizard for script-less deployment. Please refer to this page for more information.
- Geographical functions for Platinum customers: PublicIPAddress, Latitude, Longitude, MapUrl, City, Region and Country. Usable for documenting the physical location of computers. Please refer to this page for more information.
- 6 new trigger types for compiling scripts into MSI files containing scheduled tasks: Minute, Startup, Idle, Locked, Logon and Remote Connect. Only a daily (once a day) trigger was available before. Please refer to this page for more information.
- It is now possible to compile a script into a Windows Service through an MSI file. Please refer to this page for more information.
- Scripts can be compiled through an MSI file into an application that starts with the Explorer. Please refer to this page for more information.
- New functions to specifically get NIC information of wired and wireless adapters (instead of only the quickest): WirelessMacAddress, WirelessNetworkSpeed, WirelessAdapterManufacturer, WirelessAdapterName, WirelessAdapterConnectionName, WiredMacAddress, WiredNetworkSpeed, WiredAdapterManufacturer, WiredAdapterName and WiredAdapterConnectionName
- New collections to get a list of file and printer shares from a computer.
- New WirelessConnection condition to determine, if the connection is wireless or wired. Useful for not executing tasks, when the connection is wireless, because it is slower.
- New SNMPValue function to extract SNMP values from hardware.
- The debug window now shows the time it has taken to execute each script line.
FastTrack Scripting Host 8.4 - Released February 20th 2013
Highlights of new version 8.4 features:
Download version 8.4
- Microsoft Outlook signature design and deployment options through a new Signature Builder. Please refer to this page for more information.
- The Engine Browser tree is now reordered into a multi-level tree to make navigation easier.
- All Graphical User Interfaces have short fade-in and fade-out effects. Four effects are available and an option to disable the effects.
- Options to use check boxes, password fields and dropdown lists for the MultiInput command. A command to make fields optional is also available. Refer to the GUI page for more information.
- More native functions to retrieve Active Directory object attributes, such as Primary Group for users and computers.
- Native conditions and functions to query installation status and version of Microsoft Office components.
FastTrack Scripting Host 8.3.1 - Released February 7th 2013
Highlights of new version 8.3.1 features:
Download version 8.3.1
- Create exe and msi projects are now wizards instead of single screens. Included files are now also selectable from a tree structure instead of a flat view.
- New aggressive MSI compression. Generated msi files are typically half the size of msi files generated with previous versions.
- FastTrack Logon performance improved. Existing users are recommended to update FTLogon.exe on the netlogon share.
- On the admin computer, it is now possible to right-click an fsh file and select edit and it is also possible to drop an fsh file on the script editor to edit the file.
- Debug screen can save output to a verbose output file.
- New CreateWMIObject function for using multiple values and multiple properties at the same time when working with WMI. This was possible before using CreateObject, but the new CreateWMIObject function will produce a shorter and cleaner syntax. Refer to the WMI page for more information.
- The Script Builder is improved in validating combinations of optional parameters.
- New NetworkPrinterNames collection and NetworkPrinterName/NetworkPrinterPath functions to be able to convert connected printer names from display name to unc path or vice versa.
- New InputText function to prompt for a multi-line text. Refer to the GUI page for screenshot.
- New CheckBoxList collection to ask the user to select multiple values from a checklist. Refer to the GUI page for screenshot.
FastTrack Scripting Host 8.3 - Released January 7th 2013
Version 8.3 is the re-birth of the script editor and is a highly recommendable update for everyone.
The editor now has two modes: Codeless mode and source mode. In codeless mode, you create scripts
without typing any parts of the script yourself. Scripts are built solely by the Script Builder
(formerly Property Builder) and the new Outline feature. The editor has these general improvements:
- New "Codeless" mode to create script without typing any parts of the script directly.
- Automatic outlining of scripts, which makes correct indentation on conditions and loops.
- Quick-find filter field on top of the Engine Browser for quickly locating an element.
- You can now also edit script lines using the Script Builder.
The Script Builder has these major improvements:
Download version 8.3
- You can browse your way to Active Directory users, computers, groups and Organizational Units.
- When you browse to find a file or folder, paths are automatically translated into logical paths (see here for more information on logical paths).
- You can browse icon graphics to find the icon name.
- "List of" sub-editor to allow you to edit lists of values, such as a printer location list, instead of building them as comma-separated strings.
- Text validators automatically catch typing errors with numbers, registry key prefixes, unc paths, etc.
FastTrack Scripting Host 8.2 - Released October 30th 2012
Version 8.2 is a major update containing 112 new language elements, now totaling 1071.
Highlights of new features:
Download version 8.2
- FTP support. New commands for common file and directory operations and for upload and download of files.
- FTP directory synchronization similar to SyncDir, but for an FTP server as source or destination. Please refer to the SyncFTPDir documentation page for more information. A video of SyncFTPDir is available on the page.
- Generated exe files now contain relevant information on the details tab of the exe file. The copyright name on exe files is by default set to the licensed company name. All exe file properties are customizable through the "Create Project To Exe File" menu.
- New SmartConnect utility to execute scripts for reconnection of Remote Desktop Services or Citrix ICA sessions. Useful to remap printers on reconnection to a session, when the client has changed in the meantime. Please refer to the SmartConnect documentation page for more information.
- New commands to allow full customization of graphical user interfaces, such as menu sizes, font sizes and colors. Please refer to the GUI documentation page for more information.
- Commands and functions to set and read file and directory attributes.
- New CountDown condition to show a graphical user interface with a countdown progress bar. The condition is true only, if the user does not cancel before the specified time. Useful for reboots asking the user to save files. The condition is shown on the GUI documentation page.
- New UserDNSDomain and ComputerDNSDomain functions.
FastTrack Scripting Host 8.1 - Released September 12th 2012
Highlights of new version 8.1 features:
Download version 8.1
- SyncDir GUI has a cancel button by default to allow users to postpone backups. The button can be removed using the DisableSyncCancel command.
- Binary registry reads and writes are now supported. To read binary values, a new RegistryValueBinary collection is available that will return a collection of hex values. Using the regular RegistryValue function on binary data will now return values in hex format separated by comma.
- New IPAddress and IP6Address collections to get a list of all ip adresses instead of the fastest adapter one, which required a WMI query before.
- All WMI functionality like WMIQuery, WMIValues and various WMI based system information functions can now extract data from another computer.
- Standard FastTrack Inventory MSI and Exe files can be created by a single mouse-click from the editor without manually building them with a one-line script and a compilation. Refer to the FastTrack Inventory page for more information.
- Generated MSI files now checks for UAC elevation before installation.
- SmartDock has new RunOnIPLost setting.
FastTrack Scripting Host 8.0 - Released July 12th 2012
Highlights of new version 8.0 features:
Download version 8.0
- Citrix XenApp support: Start and control XenApp and XenDesktop sessions from the client side and query client name and IP address from the server side, which is useful for mapping shares and printer in logon scripts based on the client location. Refer to this page for more information.
- SCCM integration: Exchange task sequence variables on the fly and get easy access to SCCM logging and client installation status from your scripts. Refer to this page for more information.
- Hypervisor detection: Hyper-V, VMware and XenServer can now be detected from scripts, which can be useful to exclude installations and updates in VDI environments. A common "VirtualMachine" condition is available and also conditions to check for an explicit hypervisor. Refer to the logon script examples page for an example.
- All features are tested compatible with Windows 8.
- Cross domain membership checks: The conditions UserIsMemberOf and ComputerIsMemberOf can now query membership in other trusted domains.
- New Kiosk computer example based on the new XenApp support. Refer to this page for information on how to build a Kiosk computer.
- Remote Desktop client version and status information available through new functions and conditions.
- Improved code completion in the script editor. Writing any keyword now suggests any feature containing the keyword.
- All features under "XML" in the script editor menu can now operate on XML strings and not just XML files.
- SCCM client information included in FastTrack Inventory.
- Errors are now always automatically logged to the event log.
- New functions to convert to and from security identifiers (SIDs).
- The exit code of FSH.exe can now be controlled from scripts.
- New Metro skin available in the script editor.
FastTrack Scripting Host 7.3 - Released May 24th 2012
Version 7.3 is major update containing the following improvements:
Download version 7.3
- SyncDir can now synchronize with permissions. Please refer to the SyncDir page for more information.
- New Windows8 and Windows2012 conditions.
- New Windows Installer wrapper commands and supporting features, which can be found under "Windows Installer" in the Engine Browser tree in the script editor. Please refer to the Installations page for examples.
- Built-in console to replace cmd.exe; see "Execution Console" in the Engine Browser tree. Please refer to the Executing external programs page for more information.
- The UserIsMemberOf condition now supports Distribution Groups, which are typically used with Exchange.
- The SendMail command now supports attachments.
- The Windows Installer version is now included in the FastTrack Inventory upload. Newer versions of Windows Installer are not listed in the Windows program list and were therefore also not present in the cloud inventory either.
FastTrack Scripting Host 7.2.6 - Released April 3rd 2012
Highlights of new version 7.2.6 features:
Download version 7.2.6
- Generating MSI-based GPO deployable scheduled tasks now supports setting credentials and a specific task name. Refer to the new Deploying applications to server farms page for example use.
- New commands for processes limited to the current user: WaitForUserProcess, WaitForUserProcessStart, WaitForUserProcessComplete and KillUserProcess. Also available is a new RunningUserProcesses collection and a UserProcessRunning condition. This is primarily to support process scoping on Remote Desktop Services servers. Please refer to the new Creating Remote Desktop Services RemoteApp boot scripts page for more information.
- Passing parameters from command-line to scripts with /P switches are now equally supported in generated exe file.
FastTrack Scripting Host 7.2.5 - Released March 12th 2012
Highlights of new version 7.2.5 features:
Download version 7.2.5
- General performance improvements on script execution.
- New /C command-line parameter can be passed to fsh.exe to execute a single script line without creating a script.
- New /TSExit command-line parameter to prevent execution on Remote Desktop Services sessions and a new "StopOnTerminalServices" setting added to the FastTrack Logon configuration.
- New commands to test for open windows: WaitForWindow, WaitForWindowOpen, WaitForWindowClose and KillWindow. Also now available is a new OpenWindows collection and an OpenWindow condition.
FastTrack Scripting Host 7.2.4 - Released February 17th 2012
Highlights of new version 7.2.4 features:
Download version 7.2.4
- SetHomePage command to set the browser home/start page for Internet Explorer, FireFox and Chrome for logon scripts in one single command.
- Native Subst and Unsubst commands to map virtual drives from a directory.
- Two new commands LogErrorEvent and LogWarningEvent to make non-information type event log entries.
- SafePassword condition to determine whether a string is a strong password or not.
FastTrack Scripting Host 7.2.3 - Released December 21st 2011
This update does not contain any new features; it mainly addresses the 260 byte path limitation in Windows,
as described here on Microsoft Technet
Windows will under normal circumstances limit users from creating structures that exceed this limit, but if a directory
structure is moved, this is limitation not enforced and if a structure is close to the limit, the length may be exceeded on the destination
structure on backups with SyncDir. The improvements in version 7.2.3 are:
Download version 7.2.3
- SyncDir is no longer limited to the 260 byte barrier.
- All common I/O operations no longer suffer from the 260 byte barrier, which is relevant for use with commands like DeleteDir and DeleteSubFiles.
- SyncDir is heavily performance improved on indexing structures. In high bandwidth scenarios with few changes, the total operation can be up to twice as fast.
FastTrack Scripting Host 7.2.2 - Released October 25th 2011
Highlights of new version 7.2.2 features:
Download version 7.2.2
- Native support for SQL Server. Please refer to the Interacting with SQL Server page for more information.
- Random interval for scheduled tasks inside generated MSI files is now configurable. Please refer to the MSI Page for more information.
FastTrack Scripting Host 7.2.1 - Released October 14th 2011
Highlights of new version 7.2.1 features:
Download version 7.2.1
- Support for the new free express edition.
- Added functionality for querying Organizational Units.
- Optional parameters to set button texts on all graphical user interfaces.
- Two new commands for setting foreground color on graphical user interfaces.
- The MultiInput command fields can now be pre-filled by assigning values to the output variables before using the command.
FastTrack Scripting Host 7.2 - Released September 30th 2011
Highlights of new version 7.2 features:
Download version 7.2
- Remote desktop client is now built-in through the new ShowRemoteDesktop command - please refer to the GUI page for more information.
- New command ChangeUser available that can change executing user in-line, voiding to the need to split into multiple scripts to elevate permissions.
Please refer to the updated Unattended Installations page for example use.
- New commands to elevate with User Account Control - please refer to the new User Account Control page for more information.
- All network functions like IPAddress can now accept a network connection name as input.
- Custom icon files can be used directly from their file location instead of having to add them with the AddCustomIcon command first.
- Improved template scripts in the FTLogon.zip (FastTrack Logon) starter zip file.
FastTrack Scripting Host 7.1 - Released August 16th 2011
Highlights of new version 7.1 major features:
Download version 7.1
- The UploadInventory command now also uploads software inventory. Upload size is still very small; typically between 500 and 2500 bytes and upload only happens when data are changed. Please refer to the FastTrack Inventory page for details.
- Three new commands are available to upload events to an online event log available through your FastTrack Inventory account. Please refer to the FastTrack Inventory page for details.
- Scripts can be compiled into an MSI file by a single mouse-click. You can also wrap your non-MSI installations to make them compatible for mass deployment with Microsoft System Center or group policies. MSI compilation can optionally be an installation of a scheduled task based on your script instead of an one-time install, which allows you to get tasks executed at off-peak hours. Refer to the Windows Installer page for more details.
- New functions to query maximum screen resolution and a new SetOptimalScreenRes the will set the highest resolution on all screens.
FastTrack Scripting Host 7.0 - Released June 14th 2011
Highlights of new version 7.0 major features:
Download version 7.0
- Web based inventory through the new FastTrack Inventory technology - see here for details.
- New re-designed ribbon based script editor - see screenshot here.
- SyncDir is further performance improved and now uses block-level synchronization on large files, making it ideal to back up PST files. Refer to the "large file" section on the SyncDir page for more details.
- SmartDock intervals are now configurable through an XML file - see here for details.
FastTrack Scripting Host 6.6 - Released May 11th 2011
Highlights of new version 6.6 features:
Download version 6.6
- Functions are now auto-quoted to ensure more robust scripts. It is no longer needed to factor in that function return values can contain commas.
- Added Active Directory functionality (see Obsolete accounts report and Password expiry notifier for example use):
- Commands: SetUserExpiryDate and RemoveUserExpiry.
- Functions: UserPasswordSetDate, UserPasswordExpiryDate, UserExpiryDate, UserLastLogon, LocalUserLastLogon and ComputerLastLogon.
- Conditions: ComputerEnabled, ComputerExists, UserMustChangePasswordSoon and UserExpiresSoon.
- Active Directory collections UsersInOU, ComputersInOU and GroupsInOU now include objects in sub-OUs.
- Per-machine Once and interval versions of Once no longer requires local admin rights.
- All interval conditions (Once/UserOnce and interval versions thereof) now automatically reset and re-fire on clients, when the source script is changed.
- Custom collections. See here for details.
- In-line errormode control. Inside scripts new commands ResumeOnError, StopOnError and RestoreErrorMode can be used to overrule the /IE command-line switch.
- Stopwatch: Under the "Stopwatch" menu in the Engine Browser tree, commands and functions are added to measure the consumed time of a script block.
- Commands and functions added to set and retrieve shortcut information like "Target" and "Working directory".
- Script editor optimizations: Code completion is faster and the property builder now has browse buttons, when parameters are files or directories.
- Right-click menu in the system tray to terminate a script, which be disabled with the new "DisableScriptTermination" command or the existing "DisableTrayIcon" command.
FastTrack Scripting Host 6.5 - Released March 16th 2011
Version 6.5 is a major update that includes new and updated pre-build graphical user interfaces.
Please refer to this article
for documentation or
to see some of the user interfaces
demonstrated live. Some of the highlights are:
- All user interfaces except the two splash screen are completely redesigned with support for custom icons.
- Most user interfaces now have a configurable company name printed on them, which is by default the name of the license holder, but can be changed.
- ShowMessage command and Ask condition replaced by new versions with new interfaces. A new ShowMessageWin command and a new AskWin condition added to preserve the possibility of Windows style messages.
- New Progress command to show a graphical progress interface to the user during lengthy operations.
- Redesigned menu and list menu with full support for custom icons.
- New double list menu to show a two column version of the list menu.
- New commands to switch menu sorting and switch whether or not user interfaces are topmost.
Other improvements included in version 6.5:
Download version 6.5
- Switch statements and While loops introduced. Please refer to the updated Getting Started Guide for more information. The updated demo script also includes an example of a Switch construct.
- A new "Generic Constructs" item is displayed at the top of the Engine Browser to help with common constructs like conditions and loops.
- The engine exe (FSH.exe) is now 40% smaller, dropping to 832kb, while still maintaining fully backwards compatibility. This has primarily been achieved by removing the documentation from the "/?" about page, which is replaced by links to online pages with the same information.
- New functions to get publisher, install date, size and version of installed applications.
- New functions to get file version and product version.
FastTrack Scripting Host 6.4 - Released February 1st 2011
Version 6.4 includes a new and improved multi-threaded SyncDir,
which is up to 300% faster in scenarios with few changed files in the source. Please refer
to this article
for more information.
Version 6.4 also introduces custom commands and functions. Write your own commands
and functions that have all the same features as native commands and functions. Refer
to this article
for more information.
FastTrack Scripting Host 6.3 - Released December 22nd 2010
Version 6.3 introduces compilation of scripts into exe files
and also repackaging of projects into single exe files. Please refer
to this article
for more information.
FastTrack Scripting Host 6.2 - Released November 4th 2010
Version 6.2 is an update adding the following features to FastTrack Scripting Host:
- A new "Getting Started Wizard" added in the editor, to provide a quick overview of the FastTrack Scripting Host syntax.
- Variables are now validated on save, preventing saving a script containing undefined variables.
- Support added for Component Object Model (COM), see this article for more details.
- New commands to set network adapter properties (DHCP or Static IP and DNS information).
The total amount of built-in commands, functions, collections and conditions is now totaling 602.
FastTrack Scripting Host 6.1 - Released September 30th 2010
Version 6.1 is a minor update to FastTrack Scripting Host 6.0, adding
29 new engine elements to further
improve support for unattended Windows 7 installations.
New commands include commands to join a domain, rename a computer and self-install
FastTrack Scripting Host. Have a look in our Windows 7 Deployments
section for an example script that includes some of the new commands.
FastTrack Scripting Host 6.0 - Released August 30th 2010
Version 6.0 is a major update to FastTrack Scripting Host 2010 (version 5.8).
Highlights of new features:
Download version 6.0
- The amount of engine elements is now doubled, totaling 553.
- 130 new engine elements to create, modify, delete, rename, move or query Active Directory users, groups, computers and OUs.
- 61 new engine elements to create, modify, delete, rename or query local users and groups.
- 22 new engine elements to create, modify or delete permissions and owner on files, directories, shares and registry.
- Engine Browser is reorganized and is now searchable by pressing F9.
- New documentation menu with weekly updated links to online FastTrack Scripting Host related content.
- Faster editor startup.
- Block comments now possible.
- Condition comparison can now also be dates and/or time.
- Inline web links for online content in the Context Helper.